Telling MJ's Story
ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) a.k.a Lou Gehrig's Disease. Our Mission is to raise awareness for ALS. We also support funding for ALS associated organizations focused on Family/ Patient support and Therapy Development. Description WHAT WE DO: We will
1) Raise awareness for ALS (most people have no clue!)
2) Garner volunteer support (families and people need help)
3) Raise funds for ALS (Trials cost Millions)
4) Create Technology/Research Library for real-time sharing of the latest PALS research
...All Funds donated to MJ's Army will be donated equally to:
ALSA.org (THE national/local support organization for patients and families with ALS)
ALSTDI (Largest Therapy Development Organization for ALS in the world; Started by a friend from High School)
General Information: ALS is a quickly progressing illness that attacks the nervous system. Motor Neurons quickly die off ultimately leading to paralysis, then death.
Still a rare condition, ALS is newly diagnosed in about 5,600 people in the US each year. There are currently about 30,000 people living with ALS at any given time in the US. The rate of occurrence continues to grow each year. The condition was made famous by NY Yankee outfield Lou Gehrig who was diagnosed with the disease in 1939.
To date, there has been little progress to find a cure. There is one drug the FDA currently uses to treat ALS, which is Rilutek. It extends life expectancy by a few months typically.
However, there is hope. Recently, much progress has been made to develop treatments for ALS. There are over 100+ compounds being tested in the US alone with several in late stage clinical trails.
While ALS is not completely understood by the medical community, it's impacts on patients and families is devastating.
Opportunities for Action
1. DONATE - Your Time, Talent and Treasure
- Donate to MJ's Army
- Donate to ALSTDI
- Donate to your local ALS Association
Find your local chapter, then donate.
2. Sign up to be an ALS Assn Advocate
3. Ask your congressional representative and state Senator for more National Research Funding
4. Encourage local media to develop a story about ALS
5. Walk in your local Walk to Defeat ALS
6. Purchase and Wear a wristband
- MJ's Army Wristband
- ALS Assn Wristband
- ALSTDI Wristband
7. Attend an ALS event
- MJ's Army Event
- ALSTDI Event
- ALS Assn Event
- Contact MJ's Army - Sign up above
- Contact ALS Assn
9. Watch the "Imagine ALS" video and post a link on your Facebook page
10. Join the ALS conversation - Follow one of our favorite blogs or start your own
- ALS Be Aware Blog
- My ALS Journey - Caroline R.
- ALS Blog Spot